A full-featured Android mobile phone, the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G for AT&T is also the world's first PlayStation certified smartphone--providing the ultimate mobile gaming experience. Get your game on with the high-res 4-inch multi-touch screen and slide-out game pad, which reveals a directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons, and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys--circle, X, square, and triangle.
Playstation game console and Android smartphone in one device (view larger).
Xperia PLAY 4G
At a Glance:
- 3G/4G connectivity
- Android 2.3 OS
- 1 GHz processor
- 4-inch touchscreen
- 8 GB microSD card
- 5-MP camera
- GPS navigation
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi
- Stereo Bluetooth
- Personal/corporate e-mail
The Xperia PLAY 4G pairs the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system with a 1 GHz Snapdragon II processor and an Adreno 205 graphics processor for a faster overall experience and totally immersive gaming. Stereo sound adds additional depth and dimension to gaming, music and video, and the VGA front-facing camera enables easy video chat with fellow gamers.
Along with the great gaming and Android capabilities, the Xperia PLAY 4G includes Facebook Inside Xperia, a suite of Facebook functions integrated into various applications, such as friends' birthdays in the phonebook, a "like" button in the music player, photo tags in the media gallery, and YouTube video recommendations from friends.
And with AT&T's 4G network, you'll enjoy mobile broadband speeds up to 4x faster than AT&T's already fast mobile broadband network (learn more below).
Other features include a pre-loaded 8 GB microSD memory card, 5-megapixel rear camera/camcorder, Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo audio streaming, GPS turn-by-turn directions via free Google Maps with Navigation, access to both personal and corporate e-mail, and up to 7.4 hours of talk time.
The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G comes pre-loaded with seven game titles including, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline HD, Crash Bandicoot, Dungeon Defenders Second Wave, Madden NFL 11, Star Battalion, The Sims 3, and Tower Bloxx My City.
Additionally, AT&T customers will have access to 150 PLAY optimized games including Minecraft Pocket Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Dead Space 2 for download and purchase through the "Get Games" recommender screen--easily accessible when you slide open the Xperia PLAY 4G's game controller.
The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G weighs 6.3 ounces and measures 4.7 x 2.4 x 0.6 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 7.4 hours of talk time, and up to 350 hours (14.5 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as AT&T's dual-band 4G network (850/1900 MHz; HSPA+/HSDPA/UMTS).
What's in the Box
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 8 GB microSD card, multimedia dock, USB cable, 3.5mm wired headset, audio cable, quick start guide
Android Gingerbread Operating System
...including Asphalt 6, Crash Bandicoot, and Star Battalion (view larger).
The Xperia PLAY 4G runs the Android 2.3 operating system (dubbed "Gingerbread") which features a cleaner, more refined interface with new icons, improved top notification bar, and more intuitive navigation. Multitasking in Gingerbread allows you the ability to run more than one app at a time. If you're playing a game, you can easily switch to an incoming email and then switch back to the game without losing your place.
A new onscreen keyboard makes it easier to type thanks to additional spacing between the keys and larger font sizes. And the more you use the keyboard, the easier typing will be as the enhanced suggest feature records previous input history to make better suggestions.
And like the previous version of Android ("Froyo"), Gingerbread provides support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
The Xperia PLAY 4G also brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services you use every day, including Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, Google Calendar, Picasa, and YouTube. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
AT&T 4G Network
This phone runs on AT&T's dual-band 850/1900 MHz 4G network (UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+), and with HSPA+ you'll experience mobile data speeds up to 4x faster than ordinary mobile broadband--up to approximately 6 Mbps (download). AT&T has deployed HSPA+ to virtually 100 percent of its mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul (via Ethernet or fiber).
Backhaul is one of the major pieces of a telecommunications network. Think of it as the limbs connecting AT&T's cell towers with AT&T's backbone network that provides access to the Internet.
Coming later in 2011, AT&T will deliver a second layer of 4G network called LTE (Long Term Evolution) that is even faster than HSPA+ speeds.
In areas where either AT&T's 3G or 4G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the AT&T EDGE network, which offers availability in more than 13,000 US cities and along some 40,000 miles of major highways.
Note: AT&T's 4G mobile broadband coverage is not available in all areas. 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul; availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment.
Optional AT&T Services
AT&T Navigator: This premium GPS navigation application includes audible turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic updates and re-routing options, and 3D moving maps (additional charges applicable). AT&T Navigator offers several other features to make your commute more enjoyable and reliable, including mobile access to Yellowpages.com. You'll be able to find the closes ATM, restaurant, gas station, Wi-Fi hotspot and more with over 10 million business listings.
AT&T FamilyMap: Locate any phone indoors or outdoors on the AT&T Network. FamilyMap provides peace of mind by being able to conveniently locate a family member from your wireless phone or PC and know that your family's information is secure and private. Want to verify that your child arrives home from school each day? Set up a Schedule Check to automatically get location information sent to you via text message or email.
- Ultra-fast 4G connectivity via AT&T's HSPA+ network (with enhanced backhaul). Where 4G isn't available, your phone will connect with AT&T's 3G network.
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes communication headset, hands-free car kits, and A2DP audio streaming Bluetooth profiles.
- Onboard GPS for navigation (using pre-loaded Google Maps or optional AT&T Navigator) and location services
- Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread)
- Android Market for browsing and downloading thousands of free and paid apps
- Preloaded Android apps: Browser, Calculator, Calendar (Google or Corporate), Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Gallery, Messaging, Music, News & Weather, Phone, Settings, Video Player, Voice Dialer, Voice Search, YouTube
- Google applications: Gmail, Google Search, Google Voice Search, Google Latitude, Google Maps, Google Places, Google Talk
- Google Maps Navigation with spoken turn-by-turn directions showing real-time traffic and 360° views of the destination
Communications & Internet
- Full HTML browser (Webkit 5) with Flash 10.1 Support
- Personal and corporate e-mail access with support for Exchange ActiveSync as well as personal e-mail accounts (Google push, Yahoo!, POP3, IMAP).
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture/video and IM instant messaging
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard
- 1 GHz Snapdragon processor (Qualcomm MSM 8655) capable of opening web pages twice as fast as most other smartphones.
- Powerful Adreno 205 graphics processor for crisp colors and silky-smooth 3D gaming graphics.
- 4-inch multi-touch display (854 x 480 pixels, 16 million colors) with accelerometer plus proximity and ambient light sensors.
- MicroUSB port
- Removable battery
- Rear 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, auto-focus, and geo-tagging capabilities.
- Video recording capabilities (DVD quality)
- Front-facing VGA camera for video chats
- Music player compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC/AAC+
- Video player compatible with MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- 1 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- 8 GB included microSD card
- Speakerphone for hands-free communication.
- Hearing aid compatibility: M3, T3
- TTY compatible
- Bilingual interface (English, Spanish)
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.