It's easy to get moving with both business and fun when you've got the Samsung Focus, one of the world's first smartphones using the Windows Phone 7 operating system. Use the ultra-thin 4-inch Super-AMOLED screen to view and edit your Office documents, or to experience movies and pictures with stunning clarity and richness. And type easier and faster with the full, large touchscreen. The Focus also includes integrated Wireless-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) for access to home, corporate, and hotspot networks. And it includes free access to AT&T's entire national Wi-Fi network.
The bright 4-inch Super-Amoled screen makes it easy to type on the virtual keyboard (see larger image).
Enabled for use on AT&T's lightning quick HSPA 3G network, you'll be able to easily access the Internet as well as quickly download video, music, and more. Additionally, with AT&T's 3G network, you can make a call while simultaneously receiving picture/text messages and e-mail, or viewing Web pages. This GPS-enabled phone can access the AT&T Navigator service for turn-by-turn directions as well as its Video Share service, which enables you to send video of yourself to another compatible phone while making a voice call. See more details on optional AT&T services below.
It's powered by a blazing-fast Qualcomm 1 GHz Snapdragon processor for a fast mobile data experience. The Focus has 8 GB of internal memory, which can be expanded via optional microSD memory cards up to 32 GB in size. It also sports a 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash and HD 720p video recording, Bluetooth for hands-free devices, and stereo music streaming, an FM radio, and up to 6.5 hours of talk time.
The Power of Windows Phone 7
The Windows Phone 7 operating system has been carefully crafted to help you get more done in fewer steps with a unique Hub and Tile interface. Instead of the common icon displays on the Start screen, Windows Phone 7 uses Live Tiles, which allow you to find out what's going on, what's happening next, and what you've missed without having to open an application.
Hubs bring together a related set of applications, services, and content into a single view to simplify common tasks. Your contacts, music, games, and work can be shared, synced, and accessed virtually wherever you happen to be. Windows Phone 7 also integrates with many popular Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, Bing, and Zune.
Live Tiles on the start screen dynamically update, so there is no need to open an app, and you decide which Tiles you want and where you want them. The Start screen includes the People Hub, which constantly refreshes with status updates from your favorite friends. The Me Tile lets you update all your social media sites, like Facebook--just type once and post everywhere with ease. Other Tiles allow you to quickly see new e-mails arrive in your inbox, play games via Xbox LIVE, and access recent photos and albums to view as well share with others. Swipe up to view more Tiles like music, Office, and more.
In addition to Internet Explorer 8 for full HTML Web browsing, the Samsung Focus also includes fully integrated Microsoft Exchange e-mail and calendar as well as Office Hub, which offers mobile versions of popular productivity programs, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft OneNote Mobile, and SharePoint Workspace Mobile.
With Windows Phone 7 you can stay on top of your inbox and quickly cut through the clutter to see only unread, urgent, or flagged messages. Move or delete messages in bulk, and respond to meeting invites right from your inbox with Outlook Mobile. Streamlined account setup works with Windows Live, Google, Yahoo!, and other popular providers. Windows Phone 7 also combines your work and personal calendars into a single, color-coded view, making it easier to spot conflicts and manage your life.
Microsoft Office Mobile is another reason why you won't miss your PC when you're away from your desk. Windows Phone 7 has mobile versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on hand for reviewing or editing on the go. Notes in OneNote Mobile--grocery lists, meeting memos, spontaneous musings--can sync wirelessly to the Web and include voice clips and pictures. SharePoint Workspace Mobile makes it easier to collaborate with your coworkers when you're out and about.
You'll also be able to personalize your phone with the Marketplace Hub. Read reviews, check out ratings, and test out content before you buy.
Windows Phone 7 is designed for business and life in motion (see larger image).
Entertainment To Go
With the Samsung Focus, you can access your favorite music and games thanks to Windows Phone 7's tight integration with Microsoft entertainment services:
- Xbox LIVE unlocks a world of games and fun, connecting you to a global community of more than 25 million active Xbox LIVE members and offering easy access to Xbox LIVE features such as Friends, Avatars, Achievements, Messaging, and more (learn more below).
- Zune for loading your favorite media--music, movies, TV shows, and podcasts--and taking it wherever. With a Zune Pass subscription, stream millions of songs right to your phone--no need for extra memory.
Additionally, each new Windows Phone from AT&T will include AT&T U-verse Mobile, an app that allows your to download and watch hit shows on your smartphone. U-verse TV subscribers with certain packages will be able to download and watch hit TV shows for no extra charge, and all U-verse TV customers can also schedule and manage their DVR recordings from the app. For the first time, U-verse Mobile will be available nationwide--even to those who are not U-verse TV customers--for just $9.99 per month. Subscribers can access the full content library, select which series or specific episode to download over Wi-Fi, and view on the go wherever they have their Windows Phone.
- Fast 3G connectivity via AT&T's HSPA/UMTS network (850/1900 MHz bands; 3.6/7.2 Mbps speeds with network availability).
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go. Connect for free using one of the over 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide.
- GPS navigation capabilities via AT&T Navigator service include audible turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic updates, and re-routing options.
- Digital compass sensor
- 4.0-inch Super-Amoled touchscreen display (480 x 800 pixels) with proximity and light sensors
- Full QWERTY virtual keyboard
- 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash gives you a brighter light source for taking photos in less-than-ideal lighting situations.
- HD video capture capabilities (720p)
- Digital media player compatible with MP3, WMA, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+ music formats, and MPEG4, H.264, WMV video.
- FM radio
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 8 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Access to popular instant messaging services
- Access to personal and work e-mail (supports Microsoft Exchange corporate e-mail)
- MicroUSB port (2.0)
- 3.5mm headphone jack
The Samsung Focus weighs 4.07 ounces and measures 4.84 x 2.56 x 0.39 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 6.5 hours of talk time, and up to 300 hours (12.5 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as AT&T's dual-band 3G network (850/1900 MHz; HSPA/UMTS) plus international 3G networks (2100 MHz).
What's in the Box
Samsung Focus handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, stereo headset, quick start guide
| ||High-speed data connectivity via AT&T's 3G mobile broadband data network: The dual-band 850/1900 MHz 3G network provides up to 3.6/7.2 Mbps of download speed, making it possible to enjoy a variety of feature-rich wireless multimedia services, and it gives you the advantage of offering simultaneous voice and data services. |
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the AT&T EDGE network, which offers availability in more than 13,000 US cities and along some 40,000 miles of major highways. Providing average data speeds between 75-135Kbps, it's fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services, including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and email on the go.