The sequel to Samsung's popular Behold smartphone, the Samsung Behold II for T-Mobile is now powered by the Google Android operating system and further augmented with Samsung's 3G Cube menu navigation for one-touch access to your favorite multimedia applications. It also offers three different home screens to organize multiple workspaces with favorite widgets and application shortcuts. Enabled for T-Mobile's expanding high-speed 3G network, the Behold II offers fast data delivery while on the go as well as compatibility with Wi-Fi networks and hotspots (802.11b/g).
The full touchscreen Behold II is a multimedia powerhouse with fast Web and data supported by Wi-Fi and T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network.
The phone sports a 3.2-inch AMOLED screen for crisper colors and wider viewing angles, and a 5-megapixel camera with auto-focus, zoom, flash, five shooting modes and video capabilities. The Behold II offers GPS location services for turn-by-turn directions using Google Maps as well as third-party applications that can be downloaded from the Android Market. In addition to personal email and corporate email with Exchange ActiveSync, you'll enjoy instant messaging, and text, picture and video messaging.
Other features include Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, memory expansion up to 16 GB via optional microSD memory cards (a 2 GB microSD card is included), digital audio and video player, full HTML web browser, personal organizer tools, and up to 6 hours of talk time.
The Samsung Behold II comes pre-loaded with a variety of Google mobile services, including:
- Google Maps: Get turn-by-turn directions and instantly view maps and satellite imagery, as well as find local business. And Google Maps Street View enables you to explore cities at street-level virtually while on the go.
- Gmail: Multiple accounts support and undo for common operations.
- YouTube: One-touch recording and playback from home screen widget or app, one-touch sharing with friends, and the ability to view your own uploaded videos and high-resolution videos.
- Google Talk: Easily switch between chats, search your chat history, and preview pictures and videos sent by links.
- Android Market: Browse and download applications created by third-party developers.
- Calendar: Ability to see who has R.S.V.P.'d to your meeting invitations.
- Amazon MP3 Store: Download stereo-quality non-DRM protected tracks instantly to your wireless phone.
- Fast 3G connectivity via T-Mobile's HSDPA/UMTS network. (1700/2100 MHz bands, UMTS/HSDPA; see more about T-Mobile's 3G service below)
- Quad-band GSM phone for good global voice connectivity. (850/900/1800/1900 MHz bands)
- Powered by the Android 1.5 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- Samsung's intuitive 3G Cube menu provides quick access to six top multimedia features: music, photos, videos, the Web, YouTube and Amazon MP3 for music downloads.
- TouchWiz user interface for easy customization through movable widgets and one-touch access to commonly used features and applications. The Behold II offers three different home screens to organize multiple workspaces with favorite widgets and application shortcuts.
- Built-in GPS with turn-by-turn directions provided by Google Maps and other third-party apps (for real-time directions). With Google Maps, you can instantly view maps and satellite imagery, as well as find local business. And Google Maps Street View enables you to explore cities at street-level virtually while on the go.
- 3.2-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen: The AMOLED (active matrix organic light-emitting diode) screen reproduces sharper and brighter colors with better battery consumption. The screen also features an accelerometer that automatically changes the orientation from portrait to landscape.
- On-screen keyboard with built-in familiar layout lets you type messages easily without searching for the letter you want.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.0) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 16 GB (a 2 GB card is included with the phone).
- Visual Voicemail allows you to listen to your voicemail messages in any order, respond in one click and easily manage your inbox without ever dialing in to the network.
- Rich HTML email application seamlessly syncs your email, calendar and contacts from Gmail as well as most other POP3 or IMAP email services. The Gmail application provides features such as conversation view, spam filtering, search, and labels that Gmail users enjoy on their computer while offering new features such as integration with the phone's contact list. And it multitasks, so you can read a Web page while also downloading your email in the background.
- Corporate email with Exchange ActiveSync
- Instant messaging support for Google Talk, as well as AOL, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Full HTML Web browser enables you to view more pages and enjoy better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone.
- Organizer tools including calendar, memo, tasks, calculator, converter, stopwatch, voice recorder, world clock
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- Voice dialing capabilities
The Samsung Behold II weighs 4.2 ounces and measures 4.57 x 2.2 x 0.48 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 6 hours of talk time, and up to 400 hours (16.7 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, as well as T-Mobile's 3G network (1700/2100 MHz).
What's in the Box
Samsung Behold II handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 2 GB microSD memory card, USB cable, wired hands-free headset, quick start guide, user manual
- High-speed data connectivity via T-Mobile's 3G network: In addition to its quad-band GSM connectivity, this phone is also compatible with T-Mobile's UMTS/HSDPA 3G network, which operates on the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum. This phone is designed to automatically connect to the best available network (3G or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide faster data speeds when accessing the Web.
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the via T-Mobile's EDGE network (which stands for "Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution"). This high-speed, mobile data and Internet access technology is fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services (with average data speeds between 75-135Kbps), including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and email on the go.
While this phone is optimized for use with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, many of its functions will also work well on the moderate-speed EDGE network. If you plan to access the Internet extensively on your phone, 3G network coverage may serve you best.
Activities that work well on EDGE or 3G networks:
- Email, instant messaging, and texting
- Downloading ringtones, CallerTunes, wallpaper, light data files
- Sending photographs via email or picture messaging
Activities that work best on a 3G network:
- Viewing content-heavy websites (lots of images or videos playing)
- Viewing YouTube and other video files (they will play on EDGE, but require loading time)
- Uploading large files (photos, videos, presentations) to sharing websites
- Downloading large files from an email or a website
T-Mobile's 3G network is currently available in 222 cities nationwide and covers more than 160 million people. By the end of 2009, T-Mobile USA expects its 3G network to be available to approximately 200 million people across the U.S.
- 3.2-inch AMOLED display with 320 x 480-pixel resolution, 16 million color depth; with accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Audio format support: MP3, MIDI, AAC/AAC+
- Video format support: MPEG4, WAV
- Graphic format support: PNG, JPEG, GIF
- USB connectivity
- Internal memory: 200 MB
- Memory expansion: Up to 16 GB via optional microSD memory cards
- Call history: Last 90 incoming/outgoing/missed calls
- Real-music ringers and 64-note polyphonic ringtones