Offering the power of an Android 2.1 smartphone in a pocketable design, the Motorola CHARM for T-Mobile is great for on-the-go social networking thanks to the enhanced MOTOBLUR functionality--the only service that continuously syncs and merges all your friends, e-mails, contacts, messages, and Facebook, MySpace, Twitter feeds and happenings.
The Motorola CHARM in cabernet (see larger image).
The BACKTRACK navigation pad, located to
the right of the camera on the back, is similar
to a laptop touchpad (see larger image).
You'll enjoy a complete Web experience from the 2.8-inch touch-enabled display, which offers pinch and zoom capabilities (in photo gallery and Web browser). Adobe Flash Lite enables rich media content such as banners and videos. Navigation is enhanced with another Motorola innovation--the BACTRACK rear navigation pad, which simulates a PC experience and makes scrolling and surfing effortless. With the rear BACKTRACK touch pad, you can flick through photos or Web pages for your friends without your fingers obscuring the home screen.
Enabled for T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, the CHARM offers fast data delivery and an enhanced Web-browsing experience that lets you connect quickly to social networking sites. And the 3G-enabled CHARM will benefit from the enhanced speeds of T-Mobile's upgraded HSPA+ network, which is being rolled out nationwide to reach up to 185 million people by the end of the year and offers speeds close to 4G connectivity (read more about HSPA+ below).
With integrated Google technology, the Motorola CHARM brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by voice, Google Maps with Street View, Gtalk, YouTube, Picasa, and contacts/calendar synchronization. The CHARM also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail.
Other features include a physical full QWERTY keyboard, Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, memory expansion via optional microSD cards (up to 32 GB in size; a 2 GB card is included), 3-megapixel camera/camcorder, integrated GPS with navigation capabilities, Visual Voicemail functionality, and up to 9 hours of talk time (with included extended battery).
The Power of Android and MOTOBLUR
The Motorola CHARM runs the Android operating system, which provides easy access to a wide assortment of messaging tools and Google apps. With Android, you're able to richly personalize the entire theme of the Motorola CHARM with new widgets, icons and wallpapers--which can be added directly on the home screen--in order to truly make it your own.
Developed by Motorola, MOTOBLUR is an innovative solution that manages and integrates communications--from work e-mail to social networking activity--on your CHARM. Updates to contacts, posts, messages, photos and more are streamed together and synced from sources including Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Gmail, and work and personal e-mail. MOTOBLUR automatically delivers these updates to the home screen in easy-to-view streams so there is no need to open and close different mobile applications to keep up with the latest content.
MOTOBLUR filters can be selected from a single social networking account, contacts, group or messaging account so that you can select only the information you want to stream live to the Happenings and Messages widgets. You can move and resize pre-loaded home screen widgets to personalize up to seven home screen panels for an even more custom experience.
Contacts in MOTOBLUR are automatically synced to the phone from personal and work e-mail and social network accounts. MOTOBLUR provides convenience and peace of mind, as lost devices can be located from a secure personal information portal and even remotely erased if necessary. In addition, one user name and password brings back contacts, messages and connectivity to previously configured networks and e-mail providers.
Finally, Moto Phone Portal enables you to access and manage your phone's data from any browser through a USB or Wi-Fi connection. Edit content and view important phone information while at home or on-the-go. Leave pictures on a friend's PC, share a video at the local Internet cafe, or share a presentation during an important business meeting.
- Fast 3G connectivity via T-Mobile's HSDPA/UMTS network. (1700/2100 MHz bands, UMTS/HSDPA; see more about T-Mobile's 3G service below)
- Powered by the Android 2.1 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- Innovative widget-based MOTOBLUR overlay to Android automatically delivers Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Gmail, and corporate and personal e-mail updates to the home screen in easy-to-view streams so there is no need to open and close different mobile applications.
- Update Facebook, MySpace and Twitter at once instead of opening individual apps with MOTOBLUR as well as upload your photos to Facebook, MySpace, Picasa, and Photobucket.
- Customize your home screen with your favorite widgets and short cuts.
The enhanced MOTOBLUR syncs contacts, posts, messages, photos, and much more into easy-to-manage streams (see larger image).
- 3-megapixel camera/camcorder with up to 8x digital zoom, multi-shot capabilities, multiple shooting modes, and 24 fps video capture rate.
- Kodak Perfect Touch technology for better, brighter pictures
- CrystalTalk PLUS for enhanced audio and call quality with a second microphone for increased voice quality while filtering out background noise.
- Built-in GPS for real-time location on maps, driving directions, and more (additional charges may apply)
- Google Maps Navigation (Beta) provides free, pre-loaded turn-by-turn voice guidance. Powered by Google and requiring an Internet connection, it enables you to simply say "Navigate to [your destination]" to get on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.
- Real HTML Web browsing provides more pages and better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone.
- YouTube app for streaming video over 3G and Wi-Fi connections.
- Visual Voicemail allows you to listen to your voice-mail messages in any order, respond in one click and easily manage your inbox without ever dialing in to the network.
- Voice-activated dialing lets you call someone with simple voice commands when your hands are busy.
- 2.8-inch touch-enabled display (320 x 240 pixels)
- Physical full QWERTY keyboard
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 2 GB microSD card with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Access to popular instant messaging services
- Access to personal and work e-mail (supports Microsoft Exchange corporate e-mail)
- Music player compatible with MP3, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA
- FM radio
- Video player compatible with MPEG4,
- Flash Lite 4 support providing compatibility with a majority of Flash Player 10.1 content.
- Organizer tools including calendar, tasks, and calculator
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- MicroUSB connector with mass storage and charging capabilities
- 3.5mm headset/headphone jack
- Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3
The Motorola Charm weighs 3.9 ounces and measures 3.9 x 2.7 x 0.5 inches. Its 1420 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 9 hours of talk time, and up to 360 hours (15 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, as well as T-Mobile's 3G network (1700/2100 MHz).
What's in the Box
Motorola Charm handset, 2 GB microSD memory card, extended battery with back door cover, charger, USB cable, quick start guide
- High-speed data connectivity via T-Mobile's 3G network: In addition to its quad-band GSM connectivity, this phone is also compatible with T-Mobile's UMTS/HSDPA 3G network, which operates on the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum. This phone is designed to automatically connect to the best available network (3G or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide faster data speeds when accessing the Web.
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the via T-Mobile's EDGE network (which stands for "Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution"). This high-speed, mobile data and Internet access technology is fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services (with average data speeds between 75-135Kbps), including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and e-mail on the go.
While this phone is optimized for use with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, many of its functions will also work well on the moderate-speed EDGE network. If you plan to access the Internet extensively on your phone, 3G network coverage may serve you best.
Activities that work well on EDGE or 3G networks:
- E-mail, instant messaging, and texting
- Downloading ringtones, CallerTunes, wallpaper, light data files
- Sending photographs via e-mail or picture messaging
Activities that work best on a 3G network:
- Viewing content-heavy websites (lots of images or videos playing)
- Viewing YouTube and other video files (they will play on EDGE, but require loading time)
- Uploading large files (photos, videos, presentations) to sharing websites
- Downloading large files from an e-mail or a website
T-Mobile's 3G network is currently available in more than 220 cities nationwide and covers more than 160 million people.
T-Mobile's web2go intuitive Web browsing service makes it easy to view and navigate the Web from your phone with features including Yahoo! oneSearch, a customizable home page and a simplified shopping and download experience. You can create a personalized home page for easy, one-click access to your favorite Web sites.
With access to the web2go marketplace included at no additional charge, you can also browse and purchase the latest ringtones, games, wallpaper and mobile optimized applications and services to customize their phone. Providing access to the latest news, information and content, Yahoo! oneSearch intuitively returns results grouped around your intended search. For instance, when you search for a sports team, Yahoo! returns the latest scores, schedules, team profiles, roster, news, images and a link to the team's Web site.
T-Mobile's New, Expanding Super-Fast HSPA+ Network
As of June, 2010, T-Mobile has upgraded its traditional 3G network to HSPA+ in 25 major metropolitan areas across the U.S., and it plans to continue rolling out this network upgrade to over 100 metropolitan cities and up to 185 million people by the end of 2010. HSPA+ provides our fastest data speeds, up to 3 times faster than AT&T and Verizon's standard 3G networks, while allowing simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the ultimate wireless voice and data experience.
HSPA+ enabled areas will enjoy 4G-like speeds, with a theoretical capability of up to 21 Mbps peak download speeds (and typical download speeds averaging between 5 and 8 Mbps).
While this 3G-enabled mobile phone doesn't offer HSPA+ compatibility, it can benefit from enhanced speeds when connecting to the HSPA+ network today.
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.